Woefully OT (Spirited Away)

Caroline Mills carrie at pitofdespair.org
Sun Sep 28 18:20:40 EDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 07:58:13PM +0100, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> Roger wrote in reply to Ulrika's:
> >>Some thoughts to Charlie's questions:

> >>a) If they drive on the left in Japan (and they were indeed shown doing
> >>this) how come Chihiro's family's car was left-hand drive?
> >>Yes, they do drive on the left side in Japan. I don't really know about
> >>their cars, but that might be the way it is. In the olden days, when we
> >>still drove on the left in Sweden, the cars were left-hand drive. Must
> >>have made it easier to decide to change us to a right hand side driving
> >>country...
> >
> >Most Japanese cars are right-hand-drive; however, it may be the case
> >that it's cheaper to import an LHD model than to buy one made for the
> >local market (as it often is in the UK).
>
> Cheaper, or more of a status symbol perhaps.  Imported cars sometimes are.

Yes, I found a website stating:

"Japanese people sometimes import left-hand drive models of cars,
whereas the standard Japanese car in Japan is right-hand-drive. This is
done purely for prestige. A Mercedes or BMW with the steering wheel on
the left is seen as more authentic and carries something of a cachet.
It is also more expensive than the right-hand-drive version of the same
vehicle."
(http://www.travel-library.com/general/driving/drive_which_side.html#cars)

My mother drives a LHD car in the UK: it was handed down from her
sister, who lives in Belgium.

Caroline