Woefully OT (Spirited Away)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Sep 28 14:58:13 EDT 2003

Roger wrote in reply to Ulrika's:
>>Some thoughts to Charlie's questions:

>>a) If they drive on the left in Japan (and they were indeed shown doing
>>this) how come Chihiro's family's car was left-hand drive?
>>Yes, they do drive on the left side in Japan. I don't really know about
>>their cars, but that might be the way it is. In the olden days, when we
>>still drove on the left in Sweden, the cars were left-hand drive. Must
>>have made it easier to decide to change us to a right hand side driving
>>country...
>
>Most Japanese cars are right-hand-drive; however, it may be the case
>that it's cheaper to import an LHD model than to buy one made for the
>local market (as it often is in the UK).

Cheaper, or more of a status symbol perhaps.  Imported cars sometimes are.

Specially for the sort of macho nitwit who drives one of those twerpish
oversized fuel-guzzling nerk-mobiles in a small country not really suited
to it, and says "Oh, we'll be all right, *we've got four-wheel-drive*" to
his frightened passengers when (just because he has made a stupid mistake
and missed the right turning but doesn't want to admit he has blown it, and
is now in a snit because his driving skill is being cast in doubt by their
fear) he is driving dangerously fast on a track he doesn't know and which
for all he can see of what's ahead of him might go straight off the edge of
a cliff at any moment...

I sort of failed to warm to the father, and I think I agree with Yubaba
about him getting what he deserves.  The mother is merely wet, but he is
objectionable.  Luckily we don't have to put up with too much of him.

Minnow