Woefully OT (Spirited Away)

Ulrika miri at home.se
Sun Sep 28 14:10:11 EDT 2003

Some thoughts to Charlie's questions:

a) If they drive on the left in Japan (and they were indeed shown doing
this) how come Chihiro's family's car was left-hand drive?

Yes, they do drive on the left side in Japan. I don't really know about their cars, but that might be the way it is. In the olden days, when we still drove on the left in Sweden, the cars were left-hand drive. Must have made it easier to decide to change us to a right hand side driving country...

d) Why did Yubaba give Haku a name so very close to his secret name (Kohaku)
if she didn't want him to remember it? Maybe this makes more sense in
Japanese. Or was it a case of double-bluff?

The way it seemed to me when Yubaba stole Sen's name, she took most of the characters and left only "Sen". So I thought that her name was quite close to her real name even if it didn't sound at all similar. Kohaku written might be made up of only a few characters, perhaps? (Anyone here who can write Japanese??)

//Ulrika

Just because they really are out to get you doesn't mean you aren't paranoid.
Steven Brust - Issola