Book recs

Laurie Puszczewicz lpuszcze at indiana.edu
Sat Sep 27 20:25:15 EDT 2003

Hi
First off, a big thank you to all who replied to my plea for help with
choosing recent children's and YA lit for a class project.  I promised to
send a compiled list to this list, and here it is.  I also have responses
here from another listserv I belong to, so hopefully people will find some
good suggestions here, as I certainly did. So many books, so little
time...

And I would *love* to be put on the Archer's Goon list too.

Laurie

Frenchtown Summer by Robert Cormier
Heaven Eyes by David Almond
Vanishing by Bruce Brooks
Lord of the Fries and Stephen Fair by Tim Wynne-Jones
The Illustrated Mum 	  Jacqueline Wilson
The Suitcase Kid          Jacqueline Wilson
Double Act                Jacqueline Wilson
Sticky Beak		Morris Gleitzman
Blabbermouth		Morris Gleitzman
Skellig			David Almond
The Maestro			Tim Wynne-Jones
The Boy in the Burning House	Tim Wynne-Jones
Pobby and Dingam 	Ben Rice
Witch Child 	Celia Rees
Loser           Jerry Spinelli
The Exiles series	Hilary McKay
Saffy's Angel 		Hilary McKay
Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging    Louise Rennison
Frindle			Andrew Clements
School Story 		Andrew Clements
The Landry News		Andrew Clements
Holes 			Lousi sachar
Speak (about rape),
Stick Figure (about Anorexia),
Bad Girl (about juvenile delinquency)
Yellow Blue Bus Means I Love You
Sticks and Stones	E. L. Konigsburg
The Midwife's Apprentice
The Island on Bird Street   Uri Orlev
Anne Fine - *The Tulip Touch* (a tad early at 1996, but a wonderful
psychological study - if you liked, say, Nancy Werlin's *The Killer's
Cousin*, you'll like this even more).
Burgess, *Bloodtide* (Burgess's best by common consent, including his own
-
gangland drama based on saga  literature)
Gaye Hicyilmaz *Girl in Red* - excellent study of love and prejudice, in
this case against gypsies.
Kevin Brooks, *Martyn Pig* - a darkly comic book about a boy who
accidentally murders his violent father and has to deal with the
consequences. (His next novel, *Lucas*, is said to be even better - it too
involves prejudice against gypsies, oddly.)
Adele Geras *Troy* - historical novel set in, er, Troy.
Aidan Chambers *Postcards from No-Man's-Land* (war, homosexuality, and
more!)
Jill Paton Walsh (ditto, but most of it will be older than 5 years - I
loved
*Goldengrove*)
Michelle Magorian *Goodnight Mr Tom*, her best known, is over 20 years
old,
but she has written a lot of good historical fiction (mostly WWII) since.
The Silver Sword_ by Ian Serraillier (Polish children in WWII)
I am David Ann Holm (boy travels across Europe after being let out of
concentration camp).
Fat Kid Rules the World 	K.L. Going
Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot	Jane Kurtz
Bicycle Madness			Jane Kurtz

The Folk Keeper by Franny Billingsley  (middle grade novel)
The Killer's Cousin by Nancy Werlin  (YA)
Love Ruby Lavender by Deborah Wiles  (young middle grade novel)
The Boat, The Ice, and the Lamp Called Fish (I think I'm remembering all
those words :>) by Jacqueline Briggs Martin  (picture book)
Winnie Dancing on Her Own by Jennifer Jacobson  (chapter book)
The Sea Chest by Toni Buzzeo  (picture book)
Read a Francesca Lia Block - almost any one.
Read Garret Freymann-Weyr's My Heartbeat
Read Roderick Townley's The Great Good Thing
Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer  (Newbery Award)
Getting Near to Baby by Audrey Coulombis  (Newbery)
Rodzina by Karen Cushman
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer  (Printz & Newbery)
Love Among the Walnuts by Jean Ferris
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes  (Printz & Coretta Scott King Awards)
Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn
Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath  (Newbery)
145th Street by Walter Dean Myers
A Step From Heaven by an Na  (Printz)
A Long Way From Chicago by Richard Peck  (Newbery)
Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan
Because of Winn-Dixie (diCammillo)
Indigo's Star	Hilary McKay
Feed by M.T. Anderson
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
The Gospel According to Larry by Janet Tashjian
Before We Were Free by Julia Alvarez
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Gina.Jamie.Father.Bear by George Ella Lyon
Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry (companion to The Giver)
When My Name was Keoko by Linda Sue Park
Robert Cormier's The Chocolate War
Feed M. T. Anderson
Knocked out by my Nunga, Nungas		Rennison
Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy:
(1)Sabriel,
(2) Lirael,
(3) Abhorsen.
Children of the Red King series Jenny Nimmo
	1)Midnight for Charlie Bone
	2)Charlie Bone and the Time Twister
	3)Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (not out yet)
Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising trilogy