Woefully OT (was Re: DVD regions)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Sep 26 06:59:09 EDT 2003

Jennifer and Melissa in dialogue:

>> with the little
>> >
>> >But she did take a bath-token from it- although not the
>> handful it then
>> >offered her. I guess that belonged to the bath-house,
>> though, so perhaps it
>> >didn't count as legal bait.
>>
>> She didn't take the bath token from it, she merely accepted
>> them after it
>> dropped them all over the ground.  It left them; she made use of them.
>> Before that, she kept saying "I don't need these" even after
>> it offered them
>> several times.  Given how the other victims seemed to be
>> trapped by greed, I
>> think it's that motivation that the creature is actually
>> preying on.  It
>> didn't just dump piles of gold nuggets on the floor and then
>> wait to leap on
>> the first person who bends over to take some.
>>
>> (This is mostly Jacob's analysis, by the way.  In the
>> interests of full
>> disclosure.  I thought it made sense.)
>
>Yes, it does. I just thought that when she was asking the frog-foreman for a
>token, it took one from his basket and gave it to her while he was
>distracted, before it offered her the whole handful of tokens. Possibly my
>recollection is wrong.

I thought that too, but maybe it didn't count as being *given* to her
because it wasn't for her anyway but for the person whose bath it was, and
she was meant to be fetching it only froggy was being unreasonable?  And
the same would apply to the other tokens, later, that got dropped onto the
floor of the bath-room, I think: it wasn't for herself that she wanted them
so *she* wasn't being greedy, just trying to do her job.

Or maybe the herb-tokens didn't belong to the Noh-Face, so they didn't count?

I also thought the Noh-Face did at one point scatter gold onto the floor
for people to scrabble after rather than offering it individually.  That
would certainly make it seem as if it was the motivation of greed rather
than politely accepting something whether one really wanted it or not that
gave Noh-Face rights over the person,.

Not being greedy does rather run through the film.  Greed was what got the
parents, too.  And I have a feeling that stealing from her sister (and thus
being greedy) was Yubaba's big mistake.

Minnow