Names (was Re: Help wanted: arthurian novels

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 16:57:49 EDT 2003

--- Ven <vendersleighc at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jon wrote
>
> <It also bugs
> me
> when people call names that are not from the
> Bible or
> the Callendar of Saints "Christian" Names.>
>
> Surely a christian name is any name given at
> baptism? For ex as I was christened "Wendy" that
> was (and I suppose still is) my christian name.
> There was no requirement regarding its source.

Yes, you're right. I've done a bit of checking (in the
Catholic Encyclopedia which is available on-line as
there is nothing in the school library on this) and
although there are many instances of church officials
trying to insist that Baptismal names be either from
the Bible, the name of a Saint or a name expressing a
Christian virtue (Something all the Faiths, Hopes and
Charitys can complain about) this has never actually
been the case in practice. I suspect that I had heard
or read some complaint about non-christian names and
assumed that was some actual church law to the effect.
I do recall reading of a case in France many years ago
(we're talking 1960s here) were a court refused to
allow a girl to be given some name (quite a good
English one as I recall, possibly Marjorie, it was
from a nursery rhyme) because it wasn't in the Bible,
the name of a saint or a classical name. This was
presumably motivated by anti-English language feelings
rather than religious motives.

Jon