Names (was Re: Help wanted: arthurian novels)

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Sep 24 08:11:25 EDT 2003

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Abe Gross wrote:
>
> > Zoe, our daughter's name, was pretty unusual when she was born in 1981,
and
> > is still fairly much so even now, but we thought that Josh (short for
> > Joshua) wasn't commonly used back in 1985. Nowadays, there is usually at
> > least one Josh in a classroom, and at the Jewish day school I teach at
> > sometimes, there are several in most classes! :-/
>
> You thought Josh wasn't a common name in 1985? In Australia, yes? In the
> US, at least, it's really, really common. I was born in 1979, and while
> Michael was the most common boy's name in my elementary school (out of
> about 50 kids in my fourth grade, 7 were Michaels), I've always known a
> lot of Joshes. Actually, they're all Joshua, but every single Joshua I've
> ever known is called Josh, except for my boyfriend. Rather, he answers to
> Josh, but I pretty much refuse to call him that, and all his friends who
> know him from college or through me call him Joshua as well. :^)

Isn't it interesting how the use of names can differ so much in different
English-speaking countries? I knew *no* Joshes or Joshuas at all, ever,
either while growing up in the 50s and 60s, or later, until this current
crop of Joshes and Joshuas today.

And at the same time, there were tons of Michaels! Weird, eh?

Ros