Mister Monday

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 23 21:50:56 EDT 2003

>I know I'm going to sound narky here--but *why* is it "natural" to want
>American spellings and phrasings in the US? What's wrong with saying, Well,
>this is an Australian author, so he speaks "Australian"? Australians manage
>to read "American" with no problems. I know that "American" is popularized
>on TV and so on, but I don't see why Americans can't adapt to someone else's
>idiosyncracies of speech. (I'm not arguing with *you*, Charlie--I guess it's
>the publishers I'm annoyed with.)

I asked this question of a colleague who teaches history of the
book/publishing. We were talking about the issue of the 1st Harry Potter
book. She basically said that this was an attitude taken by publishers a
number of years ago, and as far as she could see it had become an industry
standard which really had very little to do with readers' desires. (This
was in the context of her sending a Canadian edition of HP5 to her niece in
the US.)

Robyn