Names (was Re: Help wanted: arthurian novels

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 20:40:08 EDT 2003

Jon wrote

<It also bugs
me
when people call names that are not from the
Bible or
the Callendar of Saints "Christian" Names.>

Surely a christian name is any name given at
baptism? For ex as I was christened "Wendy" that
was (and I suppose still is) my christian name.
There was no requirement regarding its source.

I think that in the uk "christian" name was
becoming interchangeable with first name until
people started noticing its literal meaning
again. And it's still used in everyday speech
that way though it is vanishing from official
documents.

=====
Ven