Names (was Re: Help wanted: arthurian novels)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 20:25:35 EDT 2003

--- Ros <argross at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
.

> My name, Roslyn, appears to have been briefly
> popular in the 50s, when I was
> born. About the only Roslyns I know are of my
> generation, though they're not
> all spelled the same way.
>
> Zoe, our daughter's name, was pretty unusual when
> she was born in 1981, and
> is still fairly much so even now, but we thought
> that Josh (short for
> Joshua) wasn't commonly used back in 1985. Nowadays,
> there is usually at
> least one Josh in a classroom, and at the Jewish day
> school I teach at
> sometimes, there are several in most classes! :-/

I can remember a few Roslyns from school in the 1960s,
and a lot of Lyns.
Zoe is one of those Dr Who names, like Tegan. There
have been several names that I've noticed appearing
about 12 years after a new assistant appeared on Dr
Who. Actually I've know a couple of parents of Zoes
and they were more into the classics than dr Who. I've
just looked at the given names of our students here
(our computer system can be made to do some
interesting things). The most popular girls name is
Jessica (21 of them), followed by
Ashlea/Ashleigh/Ashlee/Ashley/Ashliegh with 19 and
Catherine, Cathie, Kate, Kathie/Katheryn with 19.
There are 13 Amandas, 12 Kylies, 12 Emmas, 11 Amys, 10
Rachael/Rachelles, 10 Nicoles and 10 Sarah/Sarahs.
Amoung the boys we have 19 Jamies/James, 18
Christopher/Chris, 16 Matthews/Mathews/Matts 16
Benjamin/Bens, 15 Joshuas, 14 Daniels (and 3
Danielles), 13 Michaels, 12 Mitchells, 10 for Nathan,
Brendan/Brenden/Brendon and also for John/Jon/Jonathan
(although half of these are teachers). Tim/Timothy has
9 as does Adam. The only Charley is a Girl

Jon