Spellings and Publishers

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 19:08:27 EDT 2003

--- minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
> JOdel commented:
>
> ><< Which is a much more fundamental change than
> changing the spelling of
> >"flavour" to "flavor" >>
> >
> >Given the incredible ignorance of a lot of American
> teachers I wouldn't be
> >surprised if they originally lobbied the publishers
> to Americanize spellings
> >just to make their own jobs easier. If the kid
> never reads it as both
> >"flavour"
> >and "flavor", he won't be so likely to spell it the
> "wrong" way.
>
> At Bristol University in England they say firmly
> that you may use either UK
> or US spelling in your essays, but not both.
> Penalties apply if you spell
> mostly in UK but use "flavor" instead of "flavour",
> as it were -- except in
> quotations from American authors, obviously.
>
> I know at least one student who varies her spelling
> according to which is
> in the first thing she quotes, and uses US or UK
> spelling consistently
> within each essay, just to keep the tutors on their
> toes.

I doubt if many Aussie students are even aware that
there is a difference. Sesame Steet has meant that
most younger people say "Zee" instead of "Zed" for the
last letter of the alphabet. Official Australian
spellings (as found in the Macquarie Dictionary, which
is cited for the preferred spellings for official
purposes) are fairly varied anyway, with in many
instances US and UK spellings both being acceptable
but one or the other being the preferred spelling. In
the case of Color the preferred spelling is without a
U, in most other cases the UK spellings are preferred.

Jon