Spellings and Publishers

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Sep 23 17:18:45 EDT 2003

JOdel commented:

><< Which is a much more fundamental change than changing the spelling of
>"flavour" to "flavor" >>
>
>Given the incredible ignorance of a lot of American teachers I wouldn't be
>surprised if they originally lobbied the publishers to Americanize spellings
>just to make their own jobs easier. If the kid never reads it as both
>"flavour"
>and "flavor", he won't be so likely to spell it the "wrong" way.

At Bristol University in England they say firmly that you may use either UK
or US spelling in your essays, but not both.  Penalties apply if you spell
mostly in UK but use "flavor" instead of "flavour", as it were -- except in
quotations from American authors, obviously.

I know at least one student who varies her spelling according to which is
in the first thing she quotes, and uses US or UK spelling consistently
within each essay, just to keep the tutors on their toes.

Minnow