Names (was Re: Help wanted: arthurian novels)

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Tue Sep 23 13:00:59 EDT 2003

<< My elder daughter's boyfriend is a Jason born in 1969, another early
example of the species. >>

One of the local fans made the observation back around 1970 that every
hippie's kid was named Jason or Laura, or some variant thereof. She was just about
right, too.

My own name seems to have been very popular about 10-15 years before I was
born -- in the black community. I don't think I ran across more than two other
Joyces of my own age the whole time I was growing up. ANd then I went to work
for the City and ran into about half a dozen of them. All about 10-15 years
older than I, and black. I was bemused.

(Can anyone think of an African-American -- or maybe European -- celebrity in
the early-mid 1930s?)