Mister Monday

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Sep 23 11:03:44 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 09:50  AM, Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC)
wrote:
> Though actually, thinking about it I do have an example of a book that
> was changed specifically for Australians around the time I was growing
> up.  It was a picture book about a kid who was very grumpy with his
> life and wanted to move to Timbucktoo as there he wouldn't have to
> clean his room etc.  I was most amused to discover the editons from
> everywhere else in the world had the kid wanting to move to Australia
> :)

That would be "Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad
day" by Judith Viorst-- one of my favorite books!

And as for the Americanization of Commonwealth (i.e., non-American)
English . . . I think the grossest example of that in recent memory is
the changing of the title of the first Harry Potter book from
"Philosopher's Stone" to "Sorcerer's Stone" - apparently American's
find philosophy dull and not enough of them (I guess I should say "us"
since I live here now) would have gotten the reference. Which is a much
more fundamental change than changing the spelling of "flavour" to
"flavor"

widdy
It wasn't only wickedness and scheming that made people unhappy, it was
confusion and misunderstanding; above all, it was the failure to grasp
the simple truth that other people are as real as you.
Ian McEwan Atonement

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net