Mister Monday

Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) Kylie.Ding at us.kline.com
Tue Sep 23 10:50:05 EDT 2003

> I know I'm going to sound narky here--but *why* is it
> "natural" to want
> American spellings and phrasings in the US? What's wrong with
> saying, Well,
> this is an Australian author, so he speaks "Australian"?
> Australians manage
> to read "American" with no problems. I know that "American"
> is popularized
> on TV and so on, but I don't see why Americans can't adapt to
> someone else's
> idiosyncracies of speech. (I'm not arguing with *you*,
> Charlie--I guess it's
> the publishers I'm annoyed with.)

Wot she said!!

My thoughts exactly.

> Thanks for passing this on, Charlie. The explanation does
> make sense, though
> it still annoys me that things have to be "translated" for American
> audiences in the first place.

Ditto.  All the Aussie readers I know managed to grow up reading books written in the US and the UK and survived without having to have them translated.  And instead of being horribly confused we *gasp* learnt things about other cultures!

Ah well, I guess the American kiddies will have to grow up protected from all that.

Though actually, thinking about it I do have an example of a book that was changed specifically for Australians around the time I was growing up.  It was a picture book about a kid who was very grumpy with his life and wanted to move to Timbucktoo as there he wouldn't have to clean his room etc.  I was most amused to discover the editons from everywhere else in the world had the kid wanting to move to Australia :)

Byeeeee,
Kylie