Names (was Re: Help wanted: arthurian novels)

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Sep 23 08:38:55 EDT 2003

> It has been my experience as a teacher that when I
> come across an unusual spelling of a name it is
> because the parents can't spell, or have never
> actually seen the name written down. It also bugs me
> when people call names that are not from the Bible or
> the Callendar of Saints "Christian" Names.

Depends on your mileu, I suppose. Many of my acquaintances give their
children names that are somewhat distinctive and unusually spelled--
because the name is spelled in a proper way. Such as Oonaugh. (I would
not, personally, give this name to a child, myself, but I know someone who
did.) Bear in mind that 'spelling' is a modern concept, and if someone
chooses to use older names there can be exciting and unusual 'correct'
spellings.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
 "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)