Names (was Re: Help wanted: arthurian novels)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 23:59:45 EDT 2003

--- "Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC)" <Kylie.Ding at us.kline.com>
wrote:
> I don't know where my name ranks in popularity for
> 1971, but it was around then that Kylie started to
> get popular.  I only know of two Kylies from around
> that time that are older than me, and one is Minogue
> (not that I actually _know_ her) and the other one
> used to sit next to me in class, which confused the
> teachers.
>
> It's been a bit of a pain having a name that is not
> only popular in my generation, but very Australian.

There was a whole generation of Kylies, and Jasons,
who went through Australian high schools in the late
'80s early '90s, so born in the second half of the
'70s, well before "Neighbours" made those names
popular. Minogue and Donovan were at the start of a
trend but not the cause of it. My elder daughter's
boyfriend is a Jason born in 1969, another early
example of the species.

Jon