Woefully OT (was Re: DVD regions)

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Mon Sep 22 16:08:58 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:46:18PM +0100, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>There are apparently only 50 prints of *Spirited Away* in the UK, where
>it's meant to be "on general release";

This is basically Disney's cluelessness. Disney got the licence for all
Ghibli's films for the world outside eastern Asia; then they couldn't
work out what to do with the non-US rights. (I get the impression they
thought "this is weird foreign stuff, only a few fans will go to see it
in cinemas, and we'll make most of our money off the DVD sales as
usual".) So they handed the UK cinema rights to Optimum
(http://www.optimumreleasing.com/), which is a very small company and
can't produce huge numbers of prints the way the big distributors do.
Then _Spirited Away_ won the Oscar...

Roger