I'm so proud

Mon Sep 22 11:49:44 EDT 2003

I have bred another DWJ fan.  I know, it was probably inevitable, but
there's just something so heartwarming when your own little child, the one
you can remember changing diapers for, starts reading the Good Stuff.

Jacob has been reading to the girls at bedtime, so they'd already heard _The
Ogre Downstairs_, _Charmed Life_ and _Christopher Chant_.  But about a month
ago, we were scouring the shelves for books to give away in a good cause
(more on this later) and Jacob, who was maniacally pulling out anything he
could find, came up with my UK paperback of _Christopher Chant_.  I forbade
him to give it away--it has a good heft and a tight binding and I couldn't
stand the thought of replacing it with one of the new paperbacks.  Teleri
got this look in her eye and said "Can I borrow that?"  Then she started
chugging through all the Chrestomanci books.  Now she's reading _Archer's
Goon_ (which I did replace) and has _Dogsbody_ waiting on the shelf.  (She
innocently says "Oh, you've read this one?" when I ask how far she's gotten
with Archer and Co.)  She's nine.  Three years ago she not only couldn't
read, but refused to learn on the grounds that I might stop reading to her.
Now I get The Look--patented by me, no less!--when I make her stop in the
middle of a book.  It's beautiful.

And the reason we were giving away our good books:  The youth in our church
have a yearly "conference"--closer in spirit to a revival, but physically
more like a retreat--and this year, they also did a service project
collecting money and BOOKS for something called Reach the Children,
supplying basic needs and educational supplies to kids in Africa.  They did
not specify what kind of books.  So we did.  We sent a number of DWJ books,
the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Riddle-master books, a full set of
Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising, a couple of juvenile Heinleins (couldn't
find the second copy of _Podkayne_ in time, drat), _The Perilous Gard_, and
probably a few others.  I have no idea where they are going, but I figured,
*I* like reading about Africa...maybe some kid there would like some really
good Euro-American fantasy.  It's kind of fun to think of some kid there
reading _Archer's Goon_ at the same time as my little girl.

Melissa Proffitt