Names (was Re: Help wanted: arthurian novels)

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 02:34:44 EDT 2003

We were quite shocked with both our girls when we
discovered that we had picked the most popular girls
names of the year for both, Kate in 1979 and Sarah in
1981. We had no boys name picked for Kate (if she'd
been a boy he would have been called Kate) but if
Sarah had been a boy she would have been Ben which was
the most popular boys name that year. When Kate
started school there were 20 girls in her class of
whom 12 had names that were Kate of something similar;
Katheryn, Kathleen, Katie.
It is very hard for teachers to pick names for their
children, many names have unpleasant associations,
especially when both parents are teachers.
Fortunately there have been no horrible Kates or
Sarahs since to turn me off their names, which is
lucky as there have been plenty of horrible Bens.
There was one occasion when I said "Ben, leave the
library, you know what you were doing" and three boys
left without arguing (but not the one I was actually
talking too)

Jon