Names (was Re: Help wanted: arthurian novels)

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Sun Sep 21 15:03:27 EDT 2003

On Sunday 21 September 2003 18:29, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> When we picked Rachel for our
> elder daughter, the only Rachels we knew at the time were in their
> fifties or over, and we assumed it would be a name everyone knew, not
> too many people had, and nobody would spell wrong.

Eek! When the twins were in toddler music class, there were three girls
and four boys, and two of the girls were called Rebecca, and the only
reason that the third girl wasn't called Rebecca as well was probably
that she had a twin sister already called that.

> Incidentally, Rachel was nearly an Esther -- after my grandmother...

*I* was nearly an Esther; I was christened Ruth, which (in the Dutch
pronunciation) rhymes with half the rude words in Dutch, so I changed
it as soon as I got the chance :-)

(and we don't have Rebecca and Rachel, because we think it's unfortunate
to call twins something starting with the same letter )

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 11-May-2003