DVD regions

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sat Sep 20 16:37:08 EDT 2003

> At one very respectable department store a salesman
told us "a friend of his" could unlock a single region DVD player so
that it was multi-region.

When we bought our first DVD player, the shop owner gave us the telephone
number of someone who helped us download some software to make the player
multizone, or something bizarre like that. I wasn't in on the technical
details, but it worked.  AFAIK,  Unlike the different video standards, which
developed because there were different manufacturers and different national
screening standards, DVD regions were intentionally introduced so that the
manufacturers would have more control over the different markets, to
discourage piracy and fakes and make it less worthwhile for American viewers
to purchase European DVD's and vice versa, that way they can have different
release dates in different parts of the world... or something like that.
Once again I have only a faint idea of what it is I am writing about and
nonetheless I am rambling on and on though it is past my bedtime and really
I should go to sleep. And this isn't even on topic. Ob-DWJ: there's a video
of Archer's Goon that never ended up reaching our part of the world and I
still have never seen the series. What are the odds the BBC will issue this
as a purchasable DVD?