DVD regions

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Sat Sep 20 14:43:14 EDT 2003

---Original Message From: Charles Butler

> > On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Anita Graham wrote:
> > |It makes one wonder why they bothered with the
> multi-region stuff in
> > |the first place!
>
> I'm not sure either. I don't have a DVD player, but I have
> heard that the content of the DVDs varies significantly
> region to region, at least in terms of the extras you get -
> bits about the making of the film, interviews with actors,
> out-takes, etc. There seems - at least from the complaints
> I've heard on this side of the pond - to be much more of this
> kind of thing put into US releases than in ones destined for
> the UK at least. Why studios should go to all that trouble to
> release an inferior product here, I couldn't say - if indeed
> it's true.

There are different encoding standards between the different regions.
European TVs tend to require the PAL standard.  US TVs use NTSC.  When I
burn DVDs, it forces me to choose which of those standards to use, so
I'm guessing that the DVDs have to be encoded with the right standard
right at the data level.  If there's less extras on EU DVDs then I'd
guess that the PAL standard isn't as compressed as NTSC.  That's just a
guess, though.

Jacob Proffitt