Help wanted: arthurian novels

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 23:59:32 EDT 2003

I developed a strong allergy to things Arthurian some 30 years ago, and
comparitively few things based on it are things I have found tolerable. Some, I
manage without a blink, however. Hexwood, of course. And, somehow most of Phyllis
Ann Carr's bits and pieces. There are a few ofhers, But not many considering
the field.

However, if you can handle the idea of an AU interpretation of the world of
King Arthur, I can recco a rather engaging one. Theresa Edgerton has written a
couple of trilogies set in a world in which she seems to have taken the
Arthurian Cycle, brushed it off, tweaked it, renamed the characters adjusted thir
backgrounds slightly reworked the world and set a number of new invented wonders
abroad in it and let it go. The basic situation is immediately recognizable,
but the whole is changed enough that you cannot take very much for granted,
and you are released from the curse of knowing how it all ends.

The actual stories concern secondary characters rathert than the King and
Queen themselves.

They all came out a number of years ago, so they may be hard to find.

The first trilogy;
Child of Saturn
The Moon in Hiding
The Work of the Sun

The second trilogy, concerning two of the younger characters of the first;
The Castle of the Silver Wheel
The Grail and the Ring
The Moon and the Thorn