Mister Monday

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 22:17:02 EDT 2003

> So reassure me, the kitchen isn't another word for the dining-room in
> America, is it?

Nope. And   American public schools don't have refectories. Much too
high-falutin a term for us Amerikans. Most schools have "cafeterias" which are
adjacent to the kitchens.

>>I read the posted comment "American schools do nearly always have full
kitchens." as meaning that there is no shortage of food to be cooked for the
students at American schools.<

Well, primary through High Schools traditionally do serve hot lunches,
(although a lot of the kids bring a packed lunch from home). In the kind of inner
city schools that enforce uniforms, a fair percentage of the kids have some form
of welfare chit entitling them to either lunch or a reduced rate for lunch or
sometimes even, breakfast.

When I was in elementary school, kids who lived close enough could even go
home for lunch. I doubt that is the case now. Most campuses are closed.

Once you hit college or junior college all bets are off. I remember we mostly
ate out of the machines in the student union once we were out of High school.