Refectories

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 14:50:25 EDT 2003

In a message dated 9/17/2003 6:04:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, deborah
writes:

> No, I think I didn't know excatly what it meant, and it may have been
> sloppy reading on my part.  But I've never heard the term used in the
> US, except maybe referring to monasteries or Catholic schools.  I know
> the term from non-US books, and clearly I didn't know it correctly.
> Other Americans, correct me if I'm wrong about its non-use?

My high school in Seattle had a refectory. However, it was a very posh
private school (non-sectarian, though they did have a chapel with, IIRC, a cross on
top), and rather Anglophilic in general. "Refectory" was definitely a word
that few of us knew before going to that school.

Helen Schinske