slightly OT: Children's and YA Lit

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Thu Sep 18 02:39:20 EDT 2003

Ooh, please don't limit us to email, I'd like to read other people's
we go along...

Here are some of the books and authors that I remember most from the piles
and piles I've read for Israeli publishers. AFAIK all these books are from
the last five years:

Jaqueline Wilson is a big name in the UK, though relatively unknown in the
US. While I don't tend to like the type of books she writes (girls with
problems in modern setting), I think she pulls it off particularly well.
"The Illustrated Mum" was the one that bowled me over, I also recommend "The
Suitcase Kid" and "Double Act" of the ones I've read

Morris Gleitzman is big in Australia right now, and I liked his books
"Sticky Beak" and "Blabbermouth". Haven't read any of the others.

The only David Almond I read was "Skellig", which I found hauntingly
beautiful but very grim

"Pobby and Dingam" by Ben Rice (Australia), I'm not sure is classified a
children's book, I would actually call it a short story, but I recommend it.

Tim Wynne-Jones is Canadian, his "The Maestro" was masterful, "The Boy in
the Burning House" I did not like that much but those are the only two I've
read

"Witch Child" by Celia Rees, mock historical diary of a young girl who flees
England because of a witch hunt and ends up in Massachusets... the first in
a series, haven't read the next book, "Sorceress"

You've probably come across Jerry Spinelli, the only book of his I read was
"Loser" which I thought was wonderful but couldn't understand why it would
be classified a children's book.

"The Exiles" don't remember by whom. Starts slow but grows on you like a
fungus. The family in this book reminds me a bit of "Time of the Ghost" sans
creepiness. I think there's a whole series of these.

"Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging" I found entertaining, though some
of the jokes are a little offensive to homosexuals and even Jews... it's the
first in a series, I didn't have the patience to read much further. Author
is Louise Rennison

"Frindle" was a lot of fun, as was "School Story" to a lesser degree. Don't
remember the author, American.

Then, some of the better in-your-face reality books I read were "Speak"
(about rape), "Stick Figure" (about Anorexia), "Bad Girl" (about juvenile
delinquency). Can't remember the names of any of these authors, all were
women, all American. "Yellow Blue Bus Means I Love You" about a Russian
immigrant in an American prep school was pretty good, dont' remember the
author of that either.

I did not like the latest E.L. Konigsburg, "Sticks and Stones" or something
along those lines, can't remember why, just that I didn't

However, I liked very much "The Midwife's Apprentice" and I know the same
author has written newer books, I'd look for them.

If you'd like to read a good Israeli book that's been translated into
English, look for "The Island on Bird Street" by Uri Orlev. This is the only
older book on this list, probably first published around when "Charmed Life"
came out, but it's the only Israeli book that I know has been translated and
that I've read and can absolutely recommend.