slightly OT: Children's and YA Lit

Nat Case ncase at hedbergmaps.com
Wed Sep 17 21:50:29 EDT 2003

Very good, read recently, and I think all are from the last 5 years
(and all are non-fantasy):

Frenchtown Summer by Robert Cormier
Heaven Eyes by David Almond
Vanishing by Bruce Brooks
Lord of the Fries and Stephen Fair by Tim Wynne-Jones

With the exception of Bruce Brooks' "Wolfbay Wings" series, and some
of Robert Cormier's mid-career books from the late 70's and 80's,
everything I've read by these authors is top-notch.

Looking forward to see what others recommend

Nat
(Who seems to be de-lurking after a year in baby-land. Good to be
back. Oh, and Helen, Daniel is wearing those tights now. Perfect
timing! They're great, and thanks again!)

>Hi everyone
>A brief de-lurk to ask for some advice.  I am taking a children's and YA
>lit class this seemster, and one of our semester-long assignments is an
>ideal yet daunting one: read as many children's and YA lit books as we can
>(focusing primarily on those published in the last 5 years).  There are no
>other restrictions.  Wonderful, yet overwhelming.  Just from being on the
>list, I have a long list of sci-fi/fantasy books to choose from, but I am
>a little less sure about what to choose from other genres.  Since we are
>such a well-read bunch, I thought I would solicit some subjective
>opinions.  I am looking both for books you find worthy of reading and
>those you might have found problemtaic in some way, since those are often
>interesting too for their own reasons.  I also know we have several people
>on the list who teach children's and YA literature who have mentioned rom
>time to time books they have taught.  Additionally, there are so
>many people on the list who are not from the US, and I would be
>really interested in suggestions of  authors from your countries (if of
>course I can get their books in the US).  Please feel free to email
>me directly, so that the list doesn't get clogged, although if there is
>interest, I would be happy to compile a list of the responses I get and
>post them in one email to the list.
>Thanks in advance.
>Laurie
>lpuszcze at indiana.edu