Mister Monday

Tue Sep 16 14:00:52 EDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:54:08 -0400 (EDT), deborah wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>|The American word is usually "cafeteria."  I haven't heard "refectory" used
>|except as you say.
>
>Yes, and "cafeteria" usually does mean both the eating area and the
>cooking area, at least in a school setting. Or it can, in shorthand,
>anyway.

That's very true.  I might use "cafeteria" in place of "refectory" if I were
worried about context, but it's not really an exact analogue.  When I was in
high school, we didn't really have a kitchen separate from the cafeteria,
either.  They had a baked potato bar that was technically in the area where
the food was prepared, even.

Melissa Proffitt