Mister Monday

Melissa Proffitt Melissa at Proffitt.com
Tue Sep 16 12:39:07 EDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:50:19 -0400 (EDT), deborah wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>|deborah wrote:
>|>|  American schools do nearly always have full kitchens.
>|>Though they aren't often called "refectory" in the US.
>|Is this another divided by a single language moment?  To me (and my British
>|dictionaries) the refectory is the dining-hall, where you eat, and the
>|kitchen is where you cook.
>No, I think I didn't know excatly what it meant, and it may have been
>sloppy reading on my part.  But I've never heard the term used in the
>US, except maybe referring to monasteries or Catholic schools.  I know
>the term from non-US books, and clearly I didn't know it correctly.
>Other Americans, correct me if I'm wrong about its non-use?

The American word is usually "cafeteria."  I haven't heard "refectory" used
except as you say.

Melissa Proffitt

To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at suberic.net with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at http://suberic.net/dwj/list/

More information about the Dwj mailing list