Mister Monday

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue Sep 16 10:50:19 EDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

|deborah wrote:
|
|>|  American schools do nearly always have full kitchens.
|>
|>Though they aren't often called "refectory" in the US.
|
|Is this another divided by a single language moment?  To me (and my British
|dictionaries) the refectory is the dining-hall, where you eat, and the
|kitchen is where you cook.

No, I think I didn't know excatly what it meant, and it may have been
sloppy reading on my part.  But I've never heard the term used in the
US, except maybe referring to monasteries or Catholic schools.  I know
the term from non-US books, and clearly I didn't know it correctly.
Other Americans, correct me if I'm wrong about its non-use?

-deborah
--
Before everything else I'm a human being.
					- Nora, _A Dolls' House_