Mister Monday

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Tue Sep 16 09:05:44 EDT 2003

Deborah wrote:

> Just finished MM.

So did I.

> |  American schools do nearly always have full kitchens.
>
> Though they aren't often called "refectory" in the US.
>
> It felt sort of US/English blend, to me, in the Scholastic edition.  It
> also made me somewhat sad, as the Seventh Tower books did.  Nix has such
> great idea, but these last two series his writing has been of a lower
> quality.  He frequently used "Arthur knew instinctively" as a shortcut
> way to let us know whether somebody was a good guy or bad guy, rather
> than showing us with character development.  And there was serious
> overuse of exclamation points.  The story seems potentially fascinating
> -- sort of World of Darkness meets His Dark Materials.  I wish he were
> writing it at top form.

I haven't read the Seventh Tower books, but I agree with you that the
writing is not up to the standard of the Sabriel/Lirael/ Abhorsen books.
Frequently the sentences feel clunky, using the kind of "telling" shorthands
you describe, instead of "showing". To me, the main characters feel like
sketches, not the full-blooded characters of his earlier work. Sometimes the
writing really comes to life, but it was quite uneven.

I also agree that the ideas were fascinating and exciting. As with you, they
reminded me a little of "His Dark Materials"--and I really do want to
continue reading the series--but I'm disappointed in the quality of the
writing.

Ros