Mister Monday

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Tue Sep 16 08:29:34 EDT 2003

Just finished MM.

|  American schools do nearly always have full kitchens.

Though they aren't often called "refectory" in the US.

It felt sort of US/English blend, to me, in the Scholastic edition.  It
also made me somewhat sad, as the Seventh Tower books did.  Nix has such
great idea, but these last two series his writing has been of a lower
quality.  He frequently used "Arthur knew instinctively" as a shortcut
way to let us know whether somebody was a good guy or bad guy, rather
than showing us with character development.  And there was serious
overuse of exclamation points.  The story seems potentially fascinating
-- sort of World of Darkness meets His Dark Materials.  I wish he were
writing it at top form.

-deborah
--
"Buffy, duck."