Mister Monday

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Sat Sep 13 07:18:39 EDT 2003

Meet-up
  Kathleen wrote:

  I've been reading Mister Monday in the bookstore (waiting for money to arrive) and am halfway through. Although I know Garth Nix is Australian, I for some reason couldn't shake the feeling that it was set in England. That's probably me, not Nix.

  I agree that the other-worldly aspects of it (I don't want to put any spoilers in here) do feel  British. It was the school, and the this-worldly parts, that felt American to me, or more American than Australian anyway.

  The "seventh grade" reference didn't catch me out at all, in Qld I grew up using "seventh grade"/"grade 7" fairly interchangeably. Am enjoying the book.

  Hey, I didn't know that in Queensland they call it that! I thought the Year 7 thing was nation-wide. Thanks for pointing that out.

  I'm enjoying it too. But I'm not finding it as totally compelling as I did _Sabriel_. I love the idea(s) it's based on.

  Ros