Mister Monday

Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) Kylie.Ding at us.kline.com
Fri Sep 12 00:03:15 EDT 2003

I am half way through it.

I am reading the American Scholastic edition.  I didn't notice the things that you pointed out Ros, but I thought the school had a reasonably Australian flavour.  I think he wears a uniform, and they don't tend to do that in US schools.

I was trying to work out where it was set, and I was sure enough that it was in Australia that it really jarred when he called his mother "Mom".  I have since checked the Allen & Unwin edition, and it is "Mum" in there.

That was enough to really irritate me.  I would have thought that the average child in the USA was smart enough to work out what the hell "Mum" means in context even if they have never heard the word.  Fair enough changing words like "jumper" which mean different things in the different countries, but not Mum/Mom.  That sort of thing just makes the book a completely confusing mish-mash of cultures that is going to either confuse or irritate!  It is so unnecessary!!

Kylie
(irritated)