Grammar faux

Gill Othen gill at othen.fslife.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 05:40:29 EDT 2003

>>There's a lot of debate about them, actually. Also about my pet peeve -
everyone/they instead of everyone/his or her.<<

Oh, were you suggesting I split an infinitive? But 'fully understand' so is
a complex verb.

Could you argue that about any verb+adverb combination, though?

I was only pulling your leg - I teach English too, and split infinitives are
the least of my worries. I think "everyone/they" is pretty much a lost cause
too, and teh apostrophe is more honoured in the breach than in teh
observance. (Teach one lesson on the apostrophe and expect six months of
apostrophic measles in every second exercise book!)

Gill