L.M. Montgomery

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Fri Oct 31 16:45:17 EST 2003

In a message dated 10/31/2003 1:00:10 PM Pacific Standard Time, Lizzie
writes:

> Of her novels, my two favorites are 'The Blue Castle' and 'Rilla of
> Ingleside.'  I think that 'The Blue Castle' is probably her best work, in
> part
> because the romance of it is balanced by aspects that incorporate not only
> bad
> things in life but normal things as well: Montgomery includes the death of
> an
> unwed mother (who admittedly dies in a rather sappy sort of way) and a
> family
> that is not abusive, but rather inattentive, unremarkable, and unconcerned
> with
> the main character.  'The Blue Castle' is a modern fairy tale, and while it
> has
> fairy tale elements (though no magic, per se) and a gorgeously happy ending,
> it
> also has these honest notes of sadness and this honest despair that comes
> not
> from bad events, but from a lack of events--from a life that does not live
> up
> to the perceived ideal.

It's funny, I know lots of people who feel as you do about _The Blue Castle_,
so presumably there's something in it, but I really don't like it much. It
seems way, way too much wish-fulfillment to me. I suppose it's a question of the
plot versus the tone, or something. The two clash, which for me ruins the
effect, for you produces an interesting contrast (if I understand you correctly).

Helen Schinske