Rowling and elitists

Chris Dollin eh at electric-hedgehog.net
Fri Oct 31 12:33:02 EST 2003

On Thursday 30 Oct 2003 12:41 am, Robyn Starkey wrote:
> Melissa kindly offered (and we so appreciate it):
> >I thought I'd share some of this individual's pronouncements on the
> > subject of what is good.  He is getting very frustrated because he thinks
> > no one understands what he's saying; he fails to realize that we don't
> > AGREE with what he's saying.  Gotta love those insecure academics.  (I
> > really have no idea what he does for a living.  For all I know he is an
> > engineer with delusions of grandeur.)

> Ignoring the "them there"; the second sentence here has faulty parallelism.
> "If a reader is a car, then Rowling's book is an interstate" would be
> stylistically more correct.

I don't understand this remark; *why* would it be "more correct"? Isn't this
a simple if-then: "if pigs can fly, then I'm a painter", "if a recipie is a script,
we can compile it to an AutoChef object file", "if this is an example, maybe
my error will be explicated".

Perhaps the writer likes cornflakes for breakfast.

--
Cereal Processor Hedgehog