Paladin of Souls (was Re: Hello?)

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 30 23:00:55 EST 2003

>|I so want to find out how much Chaucer Bujold has been reading. The
>Wife of
>|Bath reference is really obvious, but on a second reading, I am finding
>|lots of linguistic echoes. Like, Ista waits for the sun to run its
>course -
>|which is how C describes the sun in the beginning of the GP.
>
>oh, now I have to go back and reread both Paladin (which was planning to
>do anyway), but also Chaucer.  I haven't reread anything of Chaucer but
>his stuff with immediate humor payoff (CT, and pretty much only Miller
>and WoB of that) since undergraduate.  So I caught -- and very much
>enjoyed -- the Wife of Bath reference, but didn't see any others.  Now I
>need to go looking.  I appreciated how affectionate the portrayal of the
>Wife was.

Well, the linguistic echo about the sun is in the first 12 lines of the GP
of the CT. But there are heaps of other things that resonate.

Ista's dream vision (see, this is Chaucerian, too, having real or visionary
dreams) of Illvin reminded me very strongly of the Corpus Christi carol:
especially the knight lying on the bed with the bleeding wound.

Lully, lully, lully, lully,
The faucon hath born my make away.

He bare him up, he bare him down,
He bare him into an orchard brown.

In that orchard there was an halle,
That was hanged with purpill and pall.

And in that hall there was a bede,
It was hanged with gold so rede.

And in that bed there lithe a knight
His woundes bleding day and night.

By that bede side kneleth a may,
And she wepeth both night and day.

And by that bede side there standeth a stone,
"Corpus Christi" wreten there on.

Robyn