Paladin of Souls (was Re: Hello?)

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Thu Oct 30 08:13:29 EST 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003, 02:08, Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote
|My excuse for being quiet was moving house and having no computer. It
did
|give me time to read Paladin of Souls.
|

|>Well, how about some quick impressions of Bujold's latest, for those
|>interested.  This will be quick, because I'm in midterm hell at the
|>moment.  No spoilers, really, beyond character names you get from the
|>flap copy, but just to be safe:

|I so want to find out how much Chaucer Bujold has been reading. The
Wife of
|Bath reference is really obvious, but on a second reading, I am finding
|lots of linguistic echoes. Like, Ista waits for the sun to run its
course -
|which is how C describes the sun in the beginning of the GP.

oh, now I have to go back and reread both Paladin (which was planning to
do anyway), but also Chaucer.  I haven't reread anything of Chaucer but
his stuff with immediate humor payoff (CT, and pretty much only Miller
and WoB of that) since undergraduate.  So I caught -- and very much
enjoyed -- the Wife of Bath reference, but didn't see any others.  Now I
need to go looking.  I appreciated how affectionate the portrayal of the
Wife was.

-deborah
--
I never metadiscourse I didn't like.