Susan Cooper

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu Oct 30 05:31:03 EST 2003

Sallyo:

Does regretting a necessity mean anything if the
necessity still exists and is acted upon?

I'd say so, definitely, in terms of the morality of the person doing the acting (which is what we were discussing). And also, perhaps to the person being acted upon. Hypothetical example: I need a tooth extracting. There are two dentists available, equally skilled, and the medical outcome of the procedure will be the same in both cases. But one of them will do it simply because it's medically advisable, the other will do it because it gives him a sadistic thrill. I know which one I'd rather have!
Charlie

Sallyo.

 It's simply that I think that
Will anyway, and arguably Merriman too, do indeed reflect on their methods,
and at times regret their necessity, but nevertheless find them
to be necessary. The whole ends-and-means aspect that we
discussed a week or two back.

style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #ff0000 2px solid">

Charlie