Susan Cooper

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 06:30:04 EST 2003

Melissa wrote:
> I find it offensive not just because it violates the rule I
> referred to, but because it seems clear that Rowland is not
> going to be harmed by his memories either of the Light's battle
> or that his wife turned out to be La Belle Dame Sans Merci.
> When the Lady says that it will be better that way,
> with no explanation, I question the motivation.

It seems like an old-fashioned doctor not telling the patient that
they're dying "because they couldn't cope"- thinking that people are
more fragile than they really are. The Lady is used to thinking of
humans as needing protection from the knowledge of the Dark. Rowlands is
strong enough to bear it, but given the choice  whether to remember or
not he can't decide, so she takes the route she usually goes and shields
him from reality. It's More noblesse oblige, I think.
Jennifer