Read lately - and stuff

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Oct 28 12:48:32 EST 2003

Read lately: I broke down and bought Paladin of Souls, and loved it. I have
also been lent The Worm Ourobouros, am up to chapter 4, and not terribly
excited so far- the archaisms seem to be distancing me from it in a way that
makes it seem dull rather than exotic. I'll try at the weekend when I might
have time to get really absorbed into it.
I've been reading Noel Streatfield and L.M. Montgomery from the library-
pleasantly nostalgic, but interesting. Montgomery, to me, seems a lot better
when she's being funny/anecdotal about village life than when she's writing
things she thinks are Important- a lot of the stuff about the beautiful
imaginations of young poets, and a good half of Anne's House of Dreams, is
sickly sweet and unbelievable.

Melissa wrote:
> I'm tired, I'm cranky, I have too much to do, and in general
> I just feel like I am taking up space that might be better filled by
> something really useful, like a Starbucks.

I don't think a Starbucks only the size of one person would be very useful-
you'd get about half an espresso machine, which would promptly explode in a
cloud of steam. And it wouldn't be as coherent about bad fantasy, either.

> I'm glad I even have time to read these days.  We
> are gearing up for Halloween, the writers conference, and the
> monthly church newsletter, all of which are due on the same weekend.

Yowf. Best of luck!
Jennifer