Rowling and elitists

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Tue Oct 28 12:34:56 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:30:27 -0700, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>>I just spent two hours composing a response (for another list) in defense of
>>J.K. Rowling.  It's not like she's even my favorite writer, but I just
>>cannot stand assumptions of superiority and that whole ridiculous absolute
>>standard of literary style.
>
> Have you noticed how often people who go on about this make simple
> grammatical errors? Speaking as someone who teaches stylistics, I don't
> understand this notion of absolutes anyway. Writing style is partly
> aesthetic, like painting or music - sure, you can make judgements about
> technique, but it isn't the only element.

Actually, in this instance, the person Melissa is aggravated by (he aggravates me too, but Melissa is carrying the family torch on this one :) is a Professor and isn't making grammatical errors.  Which only makes it that much more frustrating because the elitism is to some extent externally reinforced by credentials.

Jacob Proffitt