Susan Cooper

Mon Oct 27 20:44:51 EST 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:59:30 -0600, Robyn Starkey wrote:

>I agree with a lot of Melissa's comments on Cooper, but (oh, heresy!) I
>think there is a problem with the memory erasure at the end. The crux for
>me is, that one of the themes of the book is the moral development of the
>children as they deal with the complex issues they are faced with in the
>course of the books. Making them all forget at the end nullifies this
>important theme, and to me, it has been just as important as all the moral
>thematic elements of Light v Dark.
>
>Okay, so maybe it is consistent, but as a reader I still feel betrayed.
>Cooper needed to find a way that they could keep the character development
>they gained, and not make it some slushy romantic ending where Bran is
>clearly going to have a teenage pash on Jenny, and that's the whole extent
>of their maturity.

I actually understand this...I think what I'm really getting at is that
while I can understand a reader (you or someone like you :) having problems
with the ending, I don't think this automatically lumps Cooper in with all
the "and it was just a dream" stories.  I think it's handled well
internally, but obviously that doesn't negate the possibility of not liking
it or being satisfied with it.

And while I liked the romantic slushiness as a kid, I have to admit it
really bugs me now...sort of a throwaway.

The issues *I* have with the series have to do with Will being an Old One
while still appearing to be a teen.  He has serious potential for being a
Smug Git all through the rest of his teens.  And while I know I defended the
whole human/Old One dichotomy, it makes me uncomfortable, all that "we are
better than humans though of course we'd never say so because we don't
actually think that but, yes, really we do" vibe they give off.  My adult
self would very much like for the humans to be able to stage some kind of
revolt and kick all their immortal butts off the planet.

<sigh>

I just spent two hours composing a response (for another list) in defense of
J.K. Rowling.  It's not like she's even my favorite writer, but I just
cannot stand assumptions of superiority and that whole ridiculous absolute
standard of literary style.  And what's worse, that wasn't even the most
egregious topic.  There was one guy who was going on about how Rowling's
prose was just too padded--giving examples--like his opinion of what prose
was supposed to sound like was not just reasonable, but God's own truth.  I
wanted to smack him, but of course in cyberspace you have to be able to code
a two-by-four first...and all I could come up with were incoherent screams.

Oh well.  Maybe it will be another tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich
night.  It's quarter to 7 already.

Melissa Proffitt