Read lately - and stuff

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Oct 24 09:09:54 EDT 2003

Exams and course finally over - yippee! - and I'm starting to catch
up on email, lists, conferences, forums...

A while ago I read a review in Locus of _Paper Mage_, by Leah Cutter,
and asked if anyone here had read it: apparently nobody had.  I
recently got a copy from BookCrossing and would now be even more
interested to see if anyone had read it.  I enjoyed it quite a bit,
especially liked the quite different system of magic in the book.  I
also started noticing ancient China-style riffs on a few Tough Guide
themes, which amused me.  And there was even an episode which
reminded me a bit of Dark Lord, though without a Scales to help out.
Anyone else read it?  If anyone in BC (or willing to join - it's not
painful, really!) would like it, I'd be happy to pass it along.  Just
write to me off-list if you'd like it.

Wading my way through tons of unread messages, I just came across a
comment which fascinated me.  Someone said Megan Whalen Turner had
written that was a big fan of both Rosemary Sutcliff and DWJ, and
there were tributes to both in _The Thief_.  Cool, hunh?  I can't
figure out what they are, and our copy is out on loan again, but
can't wait to reread with this in mind!

Finally, just finished _The Well of Lost Plots_  (signed copy too,
Fforde must have been in Dublin.  Sigh.)   I was half wondering
whether the series might be starting to wear a bit thin, but found
the opposite instead.  Not only did this make me laugh a lot more
even than the other two, but I also found the style smoother, and it
seemed somehow less just fun fluff.  (All IMHO, of course.  Standard
disclaimer.)   The Bookie awards at the end were priceless.  It's too
tempting to quote favourite bits and spoil them for people, but I'll
try to resist!    The witches though!  The generics!   :-)

Hallie.