Latest Reading

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 22 21:05:38 EDT 2003

--- Emma Comerford <emmaco at tpg.com.au> wrote:
(on Celia dart-Thornton)

> Someone else (Jon?) has noted the introduction of
> Australian flora into the books, and I also
> found this a bit strange. In my mind I'd have this
> nice British setting, complete with mythical
> British creatures, and then a casuarina tree would
> be mentioned and I'd be thrown out of the
> scene!
>
> I'm glad you liked them though - I wanted to like
> them, if only because the author is Australian!

yes,  t'was me, and it still annoys me about these
books. Otherwise I enjoyed them, especially the
ending, of which I will say no more. However those
Australianisms......If she'd left some way for them to
be justified in the story I'd have been happy - a hint
of a portal to our world, or hints of non-European
mythologies, but none of this. I was left rather
hoping for a Bunyip. I'd be interested in how any
non-Aussies who have read these books felt about this
- or even if they noticed it.

Jon