Latest Reading

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Tue Oct 21 21:40:45 EDT 2003

Sorry, just realised there was more I wanted to reply to (rather than working)

Quoting Kathleen Jennings <s368333 at student.uq.edu.au>:

> Discovered Isabelle Allende's short stories which don't actually make me
> want to read her long fiction - just more short ones. There is some
> beautiful writing there. Small step from "low" fantasy to magic realism.

I also love her short stories, especially because they're short enough that I can manage to
read them in Spanish. (I'm not fluent enough in Spanish to be able to judge if writing is "good"
or not, but I loved how the words flowed in the original language). I enjoyed the English
versions of the books I've read, but can't remember now why I didn't love them.

And I think that in my mind I categorise magical realism as a sub-category of fantasy. I didn't
read all those posts people had a while back on cateloguing, but that's how I'd see the genre.