Latest Reading

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Tue Oct 21 21:34:21 EDT 2003

Quoting Kathleen Jennings <s368333 at student.uq.edu.au>:

> And I have discovered Cecilia Dart-Thornton. I met her at a dinner last year
> but hadn't got around to reading the Bitterbynde trilogy (cultural cringe
> factor? I hope not).The first book was a little slow to start with, but once
> the main character is out of Isse Tower and comes down out of the skyships
> (although aerial pirate attacks were a lot of fun) into the forest, she hits
> her stride. Ornate, bejeweled, gorgeous descriptions, like stepping into a
> Kinuko Craft painting (www.kycraft.com). Also involves a retelling of almost
> every single folk tale in England and large parts of Europe. Second book
> moved from enchanted medieval forests into magical renaissance courtly
> tales - and there I had to stop. The third book comes out in paperback next
> months and I am having great difficulties concentrating on my studies.
> Anyone else read these books?

We've discussed these on the list before, but I'm not sure what they were in connection with
(and don't have my archives on this computer). So I'll just say what I think :)

I found that the retelling of the folk tales broke the first novel up too much - I kept feeling that I
was reading a compendium of folk tales rather than a coherent story. But I can see how other
people would like that aspect.

Someone else (Jon?) has noted the introduction of Australian flora into the books, and I also
found this a bit strange. In my mind I'd have this nice British setting, complete with mythical
British creatures, and then a casuarina tree would be mentioned and I'd be thrown out of the
scene!

I'm glad you liked them though - I wanted to like them, if only because the author is Australian!