OT: Recent Reads

Laurie Puszczewicz lpuszcze at indiana.edu
Tue Oct 21 21:08:47 EDT 2003

I just wanted to share a recommendation. I've been reading through many
children's and YA books lately, for a semester-long assignment, and I just
finished _Go and Come Back_, by Joan Abelove, the story of a young woman
in an Amazonian tribe who interacts with two anthropologists who come to
study the tribe.  The author spent two years herself in the Amazon, and it
shows; this books was really compelling, partiuclarly because the narrator
finds the two American women so odd, and the reader gets to see Americn
culture and behavior through her eyes.  I also finished Sharon Creech's
newest, _Granny Torelli Makes Soup_, which I didn't like as much as I have
some of her other books.  It felt much more lightweight than I am used to
from her.  I did enjoy _Frindle_ quite a bit; I liked how the book focused
on words and language and how meaning is created.  I'm just starting
_Lady: My Life as a Bitch_ by Burgess, I think.  I've heard quite a bit
about hsi books, and this is the first I've picked up.

Laurie